The last ten years have seen significant improvements to the Church. These have been possible as a result of both generous donations from individuals living in Boxted and of numerous fundraising activities supported not just by the people of Boxted but by others coming from far and wide.
- In 1999 the painting of the Chancel ceiling by Howell & Bellion of Saffron Walden.
- In 2005 the replacement of the brick floor, the re-building of the Chancel step so as t create a dais projecting into the nave and the restoration of the Reredos.
- In 2005 the installation of an effective heating system and a new and complete electricity circuit.
- In 2007 the erection of a flagpole on the tower.
- In 2007 and 2008 the installation of two hand crafted notice boards.
- In 2008 the re-casting of one cracked bell, (originally by Thomas Mears of London in 1812: the other bell having been originally cast by Thomas Gardiner of Sudbury in 1714) and the re-hanging of the bells to chime both manually and electronically.
- In 2008 the installation of a sound reinforcement system.
- In 2008 the re-laying of the gravel access path.
We are now undertaking further work which will provide disabled access, a WC, a refreshments servery, a space for activties in the tower and the vestry located to a new first floor to be built within the tower.
This work will enable more effective access and use of the structure by both the church and the wider Boxted communities. These improvements will enable St Peter’s to reclaim its role as a focus of community life in Boxted, including concerts, gatherings of community special interest groups, youth work and community care activities.
For more information and our colour brochure, please click on the file below.